Kalandra is a traditional settlement in the Municipality of Kassandra in the prefecture of Halkidiki. It is located in the southwest of the Kassandra peninsula. The consolidation of its settlement in the present area must have taken place in the last Byzantine or the first years of the Ottoman Empire. The inhabitants of Kalandra participated in the revolution of 1821.
An important fighter of the revolution of 1821 was Kyparissis Georgakis. The area of Kalandra is strongly connected with the existence of Mendi. It retained unchanged toponyms of the country of Mendai, like that of its beach, which is still called Poseidi, an Ionic expression of Poseidon, as Thucydides called it in the 5th century.
The city of Mendi was significant in antiquity, known for its cultural development, as well as for products such as its wine. Thucydides informs us that Mendi was a colony of the Eretrians, who founded it on the Pallini peninsula. Peonios, an ancient Greek sculptor, derives from Mendi. He was born in Mendi, Halkidiki and lived in Eretria and mainly Greece. He is considered to be a pioneer sculptor of Ionian sculpture. His most important works are the statue of Victory in Olympia and two statues of Victory at the ends of the facade of the Olympus (pillars of Olympian Zeus). The winged Victory of Olympia was found in the excavations of Olympia in 1875 and today is in its museum.
In the cemetery, which was located on the beach of the Mendi Hotel, a total of 241 burials were excavated, dating from the end of the 8th-beginning of the 7th to the end of the 6th century e.g. Today, by the sea, some parts of the wall of ancient Mendi are preserved and four kilometers west, the Temple of Poseidon. Near the church is the lighthouse, which was built in 1864. One kilometres west of the village, in a beautiful location overlooking the whole plain, is the church of Panagia, built in 1619. This church is of particular interest because inside frescoes depicting the life and crucifixion of Christ are preserved. The large church of Kalandra, the "Assumption of the Virgin Mary", was built in 1900 and is of particular architectural interest. It is basilica in style and celebrates on the 15th of August. A big festival in honor of the Virgin Mary takes place on the 23rd of August.
Products of the area are oil, honey, cereals, cotton and corn. In 1970 and inside the area of Kalandra, the first large hotel facility (Hotel Mendi) was built on the Kassandra peninsula. Today, in the vastness of the 12 thousand beautiful coast, there are various hotel units, the largest campsite of EOT and the camps of the Aristotle University. In Kalandra, Posidi and throughout the area there are picturesque taverns, restaurants, cafes, bars, nightclubs, butchers with local meat, rooms-to-rent, apartments, taxis, a rural doctor's office and a mobile bank to serve visitors. The hospitality of the locals and the intense change scenery, ensure that the visitor has an unforgettable vacation time in Kalandra and Posidi.
REPUBLICATION IS PROHIBITED and generally the reproduction of the texts of the website, in any medium or way, in part or in summary, without the written permission of the author. The photos are the intellectual property of Sunspot Web Design, based on law 2121/1993 and the Berne International Convention (ratified by law 100/1975). It is noted that intellectual property is acquired without any wording and without the need for a clause prohibiting its insults. All published photographs are the intellectual property of the photographers and are governed by the laws of the Greek State on copyright. You may not reproduce the site, in whole or in part, without the written permission of the administrators. If you wish to use one or more of the photos for presentation in print or electronic media, you must mention on the same page and in a clear place the website: www.kassandra-halkidiki.gr as the source of the images (link).